The Lower Elgin Road bridge was originally known as Coats Crossing (Rivers 2015) because it crossed Wilbarger Creek on property that was originally owned by William Coats. The Coats family cemetery located near the bridge was the research starting point and led to interesting information that is also connected with Bastrop County history, particularly in terms of political development and economic development of Elgin. This section presents an overview of the William Coats family and several descendants.
William and Sarah (Partridge) Coats arrived in Bastrop County in 1850 from Wilkes County, Georgia. Their farm included 900 acres along Wilbarger Creek. They had two daughters: Sara Elizabeth Coats (b. 1826 in Wilkes County, Georgia) and Anna M. Coats (b. 1833, most likely in Wilkes County, Georgia).